Morocco is the land that shares the Sahara desert with the mountains of the High Atlas and is positively packed to the brim with an exciting mix of Arabian culture and high adventure! What’s more – it’s right on Europe’s doorstep and is home to North Africa’s highest mountain summit: Jebel Toubkal (4167m) in the Atlas Mountains. After summiting this fantastic peak you will be rewarded with a great opportunity to work some magic around the infamous souqs of Marrakesh renowned for their haggling, bartering and bargains!
Drive out to Oukaimeden (2 hours) in the High Atlas Mountains and commence day 1 of the trek taking us to the Berber village of Tacheddirt at 2390m. 10Km, 358m ascent, 584m in descent.
Trek day 2 to Aroumd at 1994m – and experience the local hammam (massage at the bath house). 13.5 Km, 460m ascent, 856m descent.
Trek day 3 to the Jebel Toubkal basecamp at 3201m. 11Km, 1207m ascent.
New Year’s day – summit day! Jebel Toubkal 4167m – North Africa’s highest peak – return to Aroumd. 18Km, 966m ascent, 2173m descent.
Return to Marrakesh in the morning & transfers and return flight home that afternoon/evening. 3Km, 24m ascent, 282m descent.
On the 2016/2017, when signal allowed one of our team made posts to Facebook describing her experiences on this trip. We’ve put them together for you to read here: Facebook Posts from Jebel Toubkal
Note: Please let us know if you would like us to arrange additional nights in Marrakesh – these will cost around an extra £30 per person per night.
This expedition is scheduled with a view to getting the best of Morocco’s weather – avoiding the oppressive mid-summer heat. Visibility should be good, and the chance of rain low. However, bring waterproofs as advised in the packing list and warm clothes for the chilly evenings.
The kit list specifically required for this expedition will be posted to you in our client’s expedition handbook. Largely speaking little is required of you – a good pair of walking boots that are B1 crampon compatible, a pair of poles and a 3 season sleeping bag may be the only things you need to buy prior to departure.
Level of Fitness for the Trek
Most days on trek are not overly taxing and will be taken at a gentle pace. However the summit day on Toubkal will require a reasonable level of hill fitness from you. Exercise regularly each week to develop your cardiovascular system and stamina. The distances we walk aren’t so great, but climbing a 1000+ m at altitude really takes its toll! At weekends, go and explore some countryside, maybe take a pack and do some camping. As a rule of thumb, if you can comfortably walk 15 miles in the hills inside a day then you should be fine on this trip.
All our trips involve a degree of ‘roughing it’. The accommodation we use is comfortable but by no means ostentatious: it is selected not only for high standards of hygiene and comfort but also on the basis that it is a friendly and relaxing place to be.
Price (excluding flights)
New Years Eve Winter Ascent: £660
Early booking discount 10% for bookings taken before June 2019 – making this trip £594.
Price includes . . .
- Western mountain leader
- Local mountain guide
- Trek cook and crew
- One night of hotel accommodation in Marakesh
- Three nights in local gites / lodges in the High Atlas Mountains
- One night at the Toubkal basecamp refuge
- All in-country transport
- Airport transfers*
- Fully supported trek with mules to carry all baggage
* Airport transfers are only available on days within the itinerary.
This price does not cover your meals when not on trek, such as when you are in Marrakech, nor will it cover any individual sightseeing undertaken, or massage in the hammam. Other items not included: travel insurance, passports, visas, inoculations, excess baggage, additional days in Marrakech due to flight delays, and items of personal nature such as drinks, souvenirs and laundry. We would recommend bringing another £80 to cover meals not provided and snacks etc. This will easily cover it.
Why book this trip with us?
It’s true that we’re probably not cheap – but we do believe that we offer a great holiday at the best value. So why should you book this trekking holiday with Will4Adventure?
1. Many of our competitors don’t send a British or western leader as standard – we do. Our teams are led by a western qualified mountain leader and expedition trained first aider/medic as well as a local Moroccan guide. This is critical for ensuring safety, full medical support (more than just first aid) and quality control throughout your holiday. Quality control also extends to maintaining safe and fair working conditions for our muleteers.
2.Our teams are small. Our competitors will tell you their teams are small too – but ours will not exceed 12 in number. In our experience a good team dynamic is lost when teams number more than 12.
3. We don’t force a fast or slow pace. Because our teams are supported with two leaders individuals can go at their own pace – fast or slow. Many other teams will be kept together unnecessarily meaning faster walkers are frustrated and slower walkers are under pressure. We let you walk at the pace that is right for you.
4. Our pricing is transparent. We make it clear here and now what you need to pay for this trek and what that includes – there are no extra “local payments” to cover feeding for example.
5. Our guides and trek team get fair pay. We like to use the same people so we look after them.
6. And as if all that wasn’t enough to convince you that we’re the best – come and meet us free of charge on one of our Free Walking Weekends and then decide. And again – this is not something you’ll see offered by our competitors …
Maximum number of places on this trip
The number of places available on this trip are limited to a maximum of twelve (12) people.
How about carbon offsetting your flight here? Climate Care allows you to offset your flight’s emissions by funding sustainable energy projects. From £3 for return flights to Morocco to £47 for flights to NZ – this trip needn’t cost the Earth. Thanks.
There are many travel insurers out there, and you are free to choose who you use for this trip. So long as they will cover the cost of a helicopter evacuation for a trek that takes you above the snowline you should be alright! Some suggestions to consider are here:
STA Travel – Premier
The Austrian Alpine Club
When you apply for more information about this trip, we will send you details of our booking conditions.
Please note . . .
- This expedition is limited to a maximum of 12 people.
- To gain a definite place on this expedition a payment of UK£200 needs to be paid.
All payments should come with the following reference: